lunes, 25 de febrero de 2008

quotes from the book I'm reading

I'm reading What Casanova Told me by Susan Swan for my Canadian Literature class. I've just read 20 pages but it is really interesting. It is a girl in the XXI century that finds the journal of her aunt. But her aunt lived in the XVIII century and travelled with Giacomo Casanova. For now, that's what I can tell.
Well, at the beginning the aunt called Ask For Adams (yes, that's her name) writes what Casanova told her about travelling. I'll share it with you:


JACOB CASANOVA'S TEN PRIMARY PRINCIPLES OF TRAVEL:

1. Do not set out in a spirit of acquisition, but go forth in the utmost humility, experiencing the same fervour you feel when choosing a lover, knowing a world of possibilities awaits you.

2. Write down what it is you desire and tear your wish into a dozen pieces. Then fling the scraps into a large body of water (ana ocean will do)

3. Travelling is like breathing, so exhale the old, inhale the new and allow your heartbreak to fall away behind you.

4. What you desire always awaits you if you are brave enough to recognize it.

5. Go only where your fancies take you. The path of pleasure and freedom is the best path for the traveller.

6. Arreange easy entrances and exits. Refresh yourself at comfortable lodgings. Then move on to other quarters, and forgive yourself the indulgence of necessary luxuries.

7. If you find a place that suits you, by all means stay. But you will not know the soul of its people until you can speak to them in their own language.

8. Accept others as you do yourself, but see them for who they are.

9. Your journey is not over until you bestow a gift on the lands you have visited, knowing full well that you will never be able to repay half the riches they bestow on you.

10. Go now and at once, taking Jacob Casanova's words to heart: Un altro mondo é possibile!

7 comentarios:

Elizabeth dijo...

Nice sentiments. I'd love to travel through life so easily.

How is your smoking ban going? What about your new outfit ideas?

Seeker dijo...

Great post, you see, you've putting me thinking about those words, and to establish a parallel with travelling to another place and the travel through life, like enc says.
Those are really good intentions.

What called my attention the most was:
"What you desire always awaits you if you are brave enough to recognize it."

"...But you will not know the soul of its people until you can speak to them in their own language."

"Accept others as you do yourself, but see them for who they are"
(But sometimes do we accept ourselfs?)

"Travelling is like breathing, so exhale the old, inhale the new and allow your heartbreak to fall away behind you."

It should be so good if we "walk" with those principles.

It's easy to know the path, but it's more difficult to walk on it.

xoxo

Kenshin Fa dijo...

bueno, supongo ke después de esto puedo decir ke yha leí algo de ese libro para la clase del viernes :p

Olimpe dijo...

Kenshin: ves? sí puedes decir algo más que "ya te leí"

enc: yes, I'd like to apply them in my everyday life , they can make things different. And it is lovely the way they are presented.

Seeker: I think that sometimes we don't accept ourselves that's why it is difficult to interact with people. I like as well "travelling is like breathing...". Como dicen por ahi, ya lo pasado, pasado :)

Seeker dijo...

Yes, I think you shuld try the purple + green combination, it works really well, in many shades, and it's going to be very in.

A copycat is something amoing.
But try to relax, and don't pay much attention, maybe she'll get tired.

About your Bday, I MUST KNOW WHEN IT IS!!!!
I think that what you're feeling it's normal, but believe me, do something to celebrate it, or you could feel so nostalgic and sad.

xoxo

Anónimo dijo...

Travel is easy, ask for vacations is hard.

Olimpe dijo...

Javapi: first I'm still offended because since you have a girlfriend you have abandoned me.

And please be a man and ask for vacations and if you decide to go to visit aunt Reyna I'll go with you, I'm dying to go to the beach