domingo, 23 de marzo de 2008

quote of the day

Out of the corner of one eye, I could see my mother. Out of the corner of the other eye, I could see her shadow on the wall, cast there by the lamplight. It was a big and solid shadow, and it looked so much like my mother that I became frightened. For I could not be sure whether for the rest of my life I would be able to tell when it was really my mother and when it was really her shadow standing between me and the rest of the world.



in Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid

7 comentarios:

Seeker dijo...

Very meaningfully
It made me start to think about me and my mother relationship.
Thanks for remembering us that normally girls have a very complicated relation with their mothers.
Things are more problematic that they seem.

xoxo

Élika dijo...

Are you an only child too?

Elizabeth dijo...

Eerie!

Olimpe dijo...

I loved the part where it says: "her shadow standing between me and the rest of the world" It made me think.

Élika: yes, I'm an only child

Élika dijo...

It's just that I was thinking that the mother/daughter relationship is a lot more complicated than it already is when the child is an only child. That's probably part of the underlying issues in Annie John. But I'm not 100% sure that a non only child would relate to/be shocked by it the same way as we, only children, do...

Or maybe it's just the narcissistic spirit of this only child.

Olimpe dijo...

my first answer would be the narcissistic spirit, but I'm going to give it a thought...it's quiet interesting. The novel brings issues that made me think in my own relation with my mother and I liked that.

Seeker dijo...

That's not the only child who has the mother/daughter relationship more complicated, that's what I think for my experience...

xoxo